Journey to Ethiopia

16 Jun

Wow!  Where do I begin?  The flight from DFW to Dubai was really amazing.  Emirates has amazing service.  We toasted our journey with a glass of bubbly, and the flight took off!

photo (12)

Both of us got plenty of sleep throughout the 14 hour journey.  The seats laid completely flat and there were even “stars” on the ceiling.

photo (9)

photo (15)

AND, as an added bonus, our flight attendant was a beautiful Ethiopian!  After the luxurious flight, we landed at the Dubai airport (a stunning one) and hit a little bump in the plans.  When we booked our flights, Emirates told us they would pay for a hotel during our 22 hour layover.  However, once we got to their counter, there was no hotel to be had.  After a git of a breakdown on my part, we finally were able to find a hotel, Park Regency Dubai, for a decent price and arrived there around 3 pm.  Dubai is really beautiful.  It is such a melting pot of ethnicity and religion but all seem to really respect one another.  We didn’t get to do too much sightseeing but were able to eat dinner on the 19th floor of the hotel and had an amazing view of the Middle East City of Lights.

photo (10)

photo (11)

The meal was really delicious too!  How could I resist ordering the “Arabian Mezzeh Plate”?

photo (14)

After dinner, we spent a little time out on the roof of the hotel taking in the sights and sounds, and then headed off to bed.  At that point, we were pretty exhausted, so we fell asleep around 8:30.  At 12 am, we were both wide awake, staring at the ceiling.  So we decided to watch three episodes of The Office on our portable DVD player (thanks mom!)  We both tried to fall back asleep but only in vain, because we both woke up again around 3 am.  We put on The Office again, watched another three episodes and decided we were hungry, so we ate three of Audra’s AMAZING chocolate chip cookies!!!  (I am pretty sure it was the best cookie I have ever had!)  I think we finally fell back asleep around 5 and had to be up at 6 to catch our flight.  It was an interesting night to say the least.  Although, I have to say I will always remember snacking on cookies in bed with Bo at 3 am.

The flight from Dubai to Addis was pretty uneventful, and we arrived at Bole Airport at 1:30 pm.  Our AWESOME driver, Tesfy, picked us up and drove us through the CRAZY Ethiopian streets to our guest house.  (I will make another post with pics about how wonderful and gorgeous this country is.)  Everyone has been so amazingly nice and accommodating.  As soon as we dropped our bags in our room, they asked us if we wanted to go meet our baby!!!  We were pretty shocked, as we were not prepared to meet her until the next day.  I quickly changed into my very well thought out “meeting precious baby” outfit, and we headed to the foster home.  I will share the story of meeting her in the next couple days.  It deserves its own novel.  It changed my life to say the least and opened my eyes to God’s pure glory and love.

Please continue to pray for us as we prepare for our court date on Tuesday (Monday evening for you guys).  We love and miss everyone but are soaking up beautiful Ethiopia and our amazing new life.

About these ads

11 Responses to “Journey to Ethiopia”

1. jennygutwein June 16, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

Oh Shelby .. Words cannot express.. Praying!

• shelbyneichoy June 17, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Is Avo from Mekele? Our babe is from the Tigray region, and if I remember correctly, so is sweet Avo!

2. Karen June 16, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

oh my goodness, Shelby!!!!! this is so beyond exciting…praying it all goes smoothly and cannot WAIT to see pictures of your newest family member with her Mama and Daddy!

• shelbyneichoy June 17, 2013 at 1:52 pm #

Thanks Karen! We can’t wait to post pics of her. Tomorrow is court so we can officially show her off!

3. Miclyn Reese June 16, 2013 at 9:02 pm #

Crying tears of joy for you guys!!!

• shelbyneichoy June 17, 2013 at 1:51 pm #

Awe! It has been the best experience of my life. Surreal, for sure.

4. Amy (Dietz) Wright June 17, 2013 at 10:06 am #

The same thing happened with our flight on Emirates to Dubai. We were bumped up to business! Not a bad deal.
    I’m thrilled for you and Bo and can hardly wait until the day you are able to bring your baby girl home!! Soak it all up.

5. Becky Dietz June 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

Shelby, I’m loving living this journey through your eyes. We are so anxious and giddy to meet that new baby!! BLESSINGS!!!!!

• shelbyneichoy June 17, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Thank you so much! She is so incredible! I can’t wait to show her off!

6. Sandy June 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

I am so excited for you and Bo on this wonderful journey of adoption. Will be thinking about you and sending prayers for your safe return home with your new daughter. Can’t wait to see pics.!Congrats.

• shelbyneichoy June 17, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Thank you so much, Sandy! I love that you know what we are going through right now! All the joys and excitement!